This post may contain affiliate links. This means I may make a small commission at no additional cost to you when you make a purchase. Find out more in the Disclosure Policy
There is nothing like the slightly sweet taste of garden-fresh tomatoes. For Tomato Cucumber Salad, combine tomatoes, crisp English cucumbers, onion, and a tangy vinaigrette. A quick and simple side salad of fresh vegetables to compliment your meal.
I grew up with a grandfather that loved tomatoes. So much that it wasn't unusual for him to plant 50 tomato plants in his backyard garden.
With that many tomatoes, my grandmother got creative with recipes. One simple recipe is Tomato, Cucumber, and Onion Salad.
Simple vegetables, with a light vinegarette, combine for a mouth-watering side salad. Prepared and on the table in as little as 30 minutes.
- While I suggest using garden-fresh tomatoes, this salad is delicious with Roma or cherry tomatoes. When using Roma or cherry tomatoes, I suggest refrigerating for at least 30 minutes. This will give time for their flavors to meld with the dressing.
- For cucumber, I love the English variety. They have thin tender skin and fewer seeds. The texture is still crisp, but with a slightly milder flavor.
- I love the sweeter flavor of a Vidalia onion. Finely chop or slice thinly. If you onion is hot, add the peeled onion to water with a drizzle of vinegar and let sit for 10 minutes. This should help pull some of the heat from the onion so it doesn't overpower your salad.
- Fresh basil is easy to grow and adds a fresh, bright flavor to your recipes. Just snip the amount you need for your recipe. Rinse under water and finely chop. If you don't have fresh basil, substitute 1 teaspoon of dried basil for a similar flavor.
- For olive oil, it's important to use extra virgin olive oil for the best flavor and health benefits. Learn more about olive oil in my post, 4 Differences Between Olive Oils.
- Including white wine vinegar provides a milder tangy flavor than apple cider vinegar or plain white vinegar.
- salt and pepper
Step 1. Peel and chop tomatoes, and cucumber into one-inch cubes. Chop onion finely. Set aside in a glass bowl.
Step 2. Make vinaigrette. Combine the white wine vinegar, basil, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Slowly drizzle in olive oil while vigorously whisking to form a dressing.
Step 3. Drizzle dressing over vegetables. Toss lightly to combine. Refrigerate for 15-30 minutes. Serve with a slotted spoon.
Frequently Asked Questions
Dried herbs are much more concentrated than fresh. Substitute 1 teaspoon of dried basil for 1 tablespoon of fresh basil.
What to Serve with Tomato Cucumber Salad
This simple cucumber tomato side salad is a quick and easy dish perfect for busy weeknights or for a grilled feast.
You might enjoy it with Grilled Chicken Kabobs or Bacon Wrapped Chicken.
Find more tasty sides in my Salad Recipes.
Other Tasty Side Salad Recipes for You
June 2022 Update: Updated images.
Leave a Reply